This week we examine civil liberties and civil rights as well as elections and campaigns. Throughout our history, different groups within our society have struggled to attain equality in our country.
Consider the history of equality in the United States.
- What were some ways that minorities were denied access to the voting booth, according to chapter 5?
- How were minorities denied access to schools?
- What groups worked to help minorities overcome these obstacles?
- What course cases helped to set a precedent for equality?
- Consider equality today.
- Do all sectors of our society enjoy equality?
- Select a political, economic, or social factor to explain your view. For example, are there political reasons one group or another faces or does not face discrimination? Are there economic reasons for inequality? Are there societal norms that dictate who should have full equality and who should not?